Cassia Tora belongs to the wild crop variety and Caesalpinaceae plant family and to cassia genus. The seeds of this plant are superior in quality and stay one of the affordable ones. The seeds are small, bold and shiny and processed through machines. Cassia tora seeds are available as natural cassia tora seeds and in different ranges.
Cassia tora L., (=Cassia obtusifolia L.), Caesalpiniaceae It can be found in several part of India as a weed and all the parts of this plant like flowers, fruits and leaves stay unique.
It contains good medicinal value and mostly grown in tropical regions of India and supplied from Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh to different domestic and international destinations for commercial purpose.
In Chinese cassia tora seed is called as Jue Ming Zi. The ripened seeds is sicklepod cold nature of cassia tora fruit contains cooling down capacity and therefore in China it its considered as a highly valued herb.
Cassia tora seeds tastes bitter and little salty and it can help to boost eyesight. It is also consumed to reduce excess of heat or intensive heat from the liver and supports for improving eyesight. It helps to cool down intestine and makes the bowel movement flexible. It is also applied for weight reduction purpose.
Properties of Cassia Tora Seeds
– It is a combination of sweet, slat and bitter taste.
– Slightly cold.
– It is related to liver, kidney and large intestine.
- – Roots of cassia tora are used for curing snakebite.
- – In Nigeria both dried and fresh leaves of Cassia tora plant is used to treat several ailments like ulcer, parasitic skin diseases, psoriasis, etc.
- – The leaf extract of this plant was found to contain anti-bacterial activity during culture.
- – It is applied for its antiviral activity for diseases like Newcastle disease and Vaccinia.
- – In China, ripe seed of sickle pod is considered as highly valued herb.
- – In Ayurveda cassia tora seeds are treated as laxatives, expectorants, opnthalmics, etc.
- – It is found to contain derivates of chrysophanol, fixed oil, anthraquinone, etc.
- – It is used as excellent source of cooling down body.
- – Helps in loosening bowel and relieve from constipation.
- – It is also used as a natural pesticide in organic farms.
- – It contains chrysophanic acid-9-anthrone fungicide.
- – It can cure skin diseases like psoriasis, itch and ring worm.
- – It contains anthroquinones for which it is applied in treating weak decoction in childhood teething, constipation and fever as well.
- – When the seeds of cassia tora are ground it can be applied with the combination of self-heal spica purnellae and fructus ardeniae (cape jasmine fruit) to obtain an excellent remedy for inflammation, conjunctivitis, etc.
- – Cassia tora seeds has the capacity to cure photophobia or light intolerance resulting from fire of excess types present in the liver channel.
- – It is also used to treat blurred vision caused due to yin deficiency in the liver and kidneys by combining with milk vetch seed and or semen astragali complanati.
- – The decoction, or tablet or syru prepared from sickle senna seeds are found be very efficient in treating hyperlipemia, a condition showing excess fat in the blood.
Research Results and Suggestions of Applications
Several modern researches have revealed that fresh seeds of cassia tora contain rich sources of vitamin A, chrysophanol, aurantio-obtusin and obtusin. The seeds also contain anthrax-glucoside that is applied to obtain laxative effect. When mixed with water cassia tora seed mixture produces dermatomyces. When infused with alcohol the seeds are found to slowdown the growth of disease causing microorganisms like bacillus, bacillys coli, paratyphoid bacillus, typhoid and bacillus diphtheria.
The seeds of cassia tora are also applicable as a mordant in the process of dyeing. It is also applied as an alternative for coffee seeds when roasted and grounded. When dehydrated it obtains good amount of protein for which it is applied for bird feed livestock. As a leguminous weed it is also found to be a used as fodder for animals and carps ingredient.